Posts for tag: IBS
Persistent pain in your stomach or abdomen could be a signal of irritable bowel syndrome, which should be treated by a gastroenterologist.
Irritable bowel syndrome, also known as IBS, affects your large intestine and can be caused by poor functioning of your gastrointestinal nervous system as it relates to your GI function. The condition causes the walls of your intestines to not move as they should, which impairs the passage of food from your stomach through your intestines.
Irritable bowel syndrome has several signs and symptoms. According to the Mayo Clinic, you may experience:
- Moderate to severe abdominal pain and cramping
- Frequent or chronic gas and bloating
- Frequent or chronic diarrhea or constipation
- Mucus occurring frequently in your stools
When you have irritable bowel syndrome, you can lessen your symptoms by practicing a few simple tips like these:
- Limiting or avoiding spicy foods, fats, nightshade vegetables, beans, fruits, milk, carbonated drinks, alcohol, and chocolate
- Limiting or avoiding high-gluten content foods and foods with a high sugar content
- Managing your stress with exercise, meditation, and yoga
Irritable bowel syndrome is best treated by your gastroenterologist. Professional treatments for IBS include:
- Prescription-strength anti-diarrheal medications
- Prescription-strength medications to reduce intestinal spasms
- Antibiotics to treat any underlying infection or bacterial imbalance
- Medications to relax the colon, including Alosetron
- Medications to increase fluid secretion like Lubiprostone
- Dietary and lifestyle counseling
Irritable bowel syndrome can be effectively treated by your gastroenterologist. Professional treatment for IBS can help you live a life free of annoying and painful symptoms. To find out more about the causes and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, talk with your gastroenterologist today!